Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Beginning of Summer

I measure the beginning of summer by several yardsticks: Memorial Day weekend, the beginning of June, school letting out... by whatever measure, I'm heading into the summertime now. I think of when I was a kid, and the magical feeling of school letting out, being free to do pretty much whatever I wanted from day to day, and soon arriving at a stage where I no longer knew or cared which day of the month it was.

Playing out in the back yard. Going out and exploring the countryside west of town. Going for long bike rides.

Even now, decades later, that aura of magic and of the beginning of all leisurely possibilities hangs over this time of year. I've got various books I'd like to read this summer. Various projects I'd like to carry out. We shall see how much of it I get around to.

No comments: