Friday, June 5, 2009

Telephone

I wish I lived in a world where the means of communication did not include the telephone. I really detest telephones!

I mean, yes, I use the telephone. I make phone calls. I answer the phone. Like most of us, my life is so arranged that I can't get around it. And there are times, such as the rare emergency, when a telephone can be a life saver.

But in general I only just barely tolerate the telephone. How many times in a free and leisurely moment has the phone interrupted, for no good reason and to no good purpose?! I'm on the national do not call list, and that helps a lot. But even those phone calls that remain are, for the most part, a blasted nuisance and an unwarranted intrusion. I much prefer to deal with people face to face, by handwritten note, by email... by almost any medium of communication but the telephone.

No comments: