Thursday, February 25, 2010

All Googled Out

Lately I've been realizing that I've looked up just about everything on the Internet that I'm interested in looking up. Which is obviously not the same as looking up everything that's out there, not by a long shot. But it's just that I have certain topics, interests, hobbies, pursuits that I've been in the habit of googling on over the years. You know, you eventually become familiar with the top search results on your limited little fields of interest. And in time you realize that it's not easy to turn up a significant new site on your interest, something you haven't seen already. It gets so every time you search on that familiar old topic, it feels like deja vu all over again.

And it's maddening. How do I break out of this limited little circle of topics I've googled a hundred times already? Google on something new? But on what?! Any topic of interest that would naturally occur to me, I've already googled to death.

It's like asking, how do I see beyond my field of vision? Because beyond my field of vision is precisely beyond the sum total of what I'm able to see. So how can I see it? How can I come up with some new interesting topic beyond the usual rut my mind is accustomed to move in? If only I could. If only it would strike me, like a meteorite of inspiration, out of a clear blue sky...

No comments: