Monday, August 8, 2011

Earworms

I've been troubled now for three weeks with earworms. You know, earworms -- music that gets stuck in your head, and it keeps playing over and over again, and you can't get it to stop.

It started one Sunday in church when we sang a hymn which somehow got lodged in my mind. Over and over and over it played, for several days.

Then the song changed, and a different tune was stuck in my mind. Every few days the music changes. Sometimes it's a popular song. Sometimes it's classical music. At the moment, I can't get Chopin's Nocturne out of my head. Often it sounds as if the tune of the day is being played on an accordion.

I've been afflicted with earworms on occasion before, but never, I think, for as much three weeks at a stretch. Really, is there some way to get the music to stop?!

No comments: