Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Out of the Hospital

A friend of mine will be getting out of the hospital this morning, according to an email from his wife. For that I am heartily thankful. He's been in the hospital now for over a week-- bowel obstruction-- and day after day they kept expecting that by "tomorrow" they'd have to resort to surgery to open things up again. But patience and waiting paid off, and by Sunday evening he was back on fluids and jello. Now going home.

I stopped by the hospital to see him a couple of times when I was in town last week. Big fellow, early 60s, and ordinarily the very picture of good health. I doubt he's ever been in the hospital before in his life. This condition came over him without warning. Feeling crappy for a couple of days, then into the hospital, and then the situation stretched out day after uncertain day.

It could happen to any of us. I'm mid 50s. It could happen with no more warning than he had. And then, for much of last week, it was far from certain that he'd get through it without surgery, which would've laid him up for far longer. I'm just glad it didn't come to that.

No comments: