Thursday, March 4, 2010

Grandma

The phone call came late yesterday afternoon. My grandmother had just died.

I knew it was coming, though I didn't expect it quite this soon. A few weeks ago she fell out of bed and hit her head. Was in the hospital, they were worried about a head injury. Then she seemed to be making a recovery. Until just these past few days, when she went into a decline, seemed confused, stopped eating.

My grandma lived a long and good life. She passed the century mark several years ago. Until within this past week, she was always perfectly clear in the head, always in full possession of her faculties. Amazing for someone who was well past 100.

Am up early this morning, have to pack, will be on the road for the long drive to my folks' place in the city. I'm taking a few days off from work. The funeral will be Saturday.

Requiescat in pace.

No comments: