Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Enlightenment

Oh dear. I really do wonder if I'm losing my marbles. You see, I've found Enlightenment.

That is, I've been using Linux for 7 years now, Mandrake/Mandriva all the way. (And let's not get into where, if anywhere, that's heading in the short to medium run.) And all those years-- from within the first few weeks, at any rate-- I've been a Fluxbox man. No GNOME or KDE for me, thank you, I'll take Fluxbox.

Until just a few days ago when, on a whim, I downloaded and installed Enlightenment, alias e17. And started tinkering with it. And tinkering. And tinkering some more.

And have already pretty well managed to emulate, and far surpass, most of what had long enthralled me about Fluxbox. With a great deal more eye candy. And I'm just getting warmed up!

Gone from the severe orange theme of the past two and a half years to e17-gaudy black and yellow, oh, lots of yellow. And I feel as if I'm betraying poor Fluxbox, indeed cheating on her and being unfaithful to her.

I may give up on Enlightenment and go back to Fluxbox yet. Though, with a creeping sense of guilt, I'm beginning to wonder.

No comments: